Friday, November 4, 2011

The Vampire Diaries 3.08 - Ordinary People



The Vampire Diaries 3.08 - Ordinary People

Brief Summary

Alaric tries to decipher the ancient writing they found on the cave on the Lockwood property, while Elena tries to get Rebekah to talk about her family's past. Meanwhile, Damon lets Stefan loose for a night on the town, but they run into vampire hunter Mikael unexpectedly.

What I Liked

I didn't care for this episode overall, but that scene at the end between Elena and Damon was too cute! Starting with her trying to tug her bedspread out from under him, and then giving up and just climbing into bed anyway. She turns off the light, doesn't even bother shooing him away, and just says she'll tell him the rest of the story tomorrow. Awww....

I also enjoyed their banter in the beginning as she's trying to practice attacking him. I'm not one of those people who's hard up on Damon and Elena getting together, but their friendship is so cute, and it's had so many moments this season.

What I Didn't Like

The flashback. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and I was under the impression that Elijah had a huge family, not just a brother and sister. (And one brother who died.) If that were the case, and he already knew of Klaus' whereabouts, the only "family members" he could have been searching for were his father and Rebekah.

Elijah was also barely in the flashback, and had somewhat ridiculous hair.

Twists and Turns

Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah's mother was the original witch. (And the only which we've seen who isn't African American. I've always wondered about that on the show.) Their father is Mikael, the vampire hunter.

Observations

Stefan still doesn't interest me much. He's always been the weaker of the brothers, and while Damon was originally presented as very self-interested, morally flexible, and willing to give in to his desires for blood, he has infinitely more control than Stefan. I'm glad he didn't let anyone get killed at the bar. And under this compulsion, are we to believe that Stefan really is just looking out for his own interests in saving Damon, or is he breaking through? I don't believe he'd be breaking through, honestly, and I'm kind of tired of his struggle.

At least Elena seems to be "giving up" somewhat, which I definitely think she needs to do.

No Matt, Jeremy, Tyler, Caroline, and minimal Bonnie.

Overall

Not a great episode, in my opinion, but I loved the rapport between Damon and Elena, and the scenes with Damon and Stefan were also worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment