Monday, November 14, 2011

How I Met Your Mother 7.10 - Tick, Tick, Tick...



How I Met Your Mother 7.10 - Tick, Tick, Tick...

Brief Summary

First off, I promise I will catch up on the other shows' reviews soon!

In the wake of their tryst, Barney and Robin try to figure out how to fess up to Nora and Kevin. They also must decide what the night meant to them, and if they want to try to be together again. Meanwhile, Ted and Marshall spend the episode on an epic quest for nachos while at a concert with Lily. Unfortunately, the two are high as a kite and end up in line for the ladies' room more the once.

What I Liked

This episode was about as sad at they come, and had me on the edge of my seat waiting with bated breath to see what would happen. My only reprieve was yelling at Marshall and Ted as they'd wander back into the line for the ladies' room time and time again!

Barney. Barney was so sweet. He instantly says that the night meant something to him, tells Robin that he wants to be together with her, and does the mature thing and breaks up with Nora after telling her the truth.

Ted. His wandering around searching for nachos was ridiculous, but the brief moment at the end of the episode where he sees Barney ... I think that's setting up for some future story lines between the two, which I am all for. Barney and Ted's friendship is great.

The montage Barney sees of all the moments he and Robin have had over the years, with Nora's father narrating in the background. He sees Robin as his soul-mate, his best friend, the person he wants to spend his life with. All that is big stuff coming from the most commitment-phobic person on the planet.

And although it was heartbreakingly sad, the scene of Barney collecting up the petals and blowing out the candles in Robin's room.

What I Didn't Like

I don't understand Robin. Why in the world would she choose Kevin over Barney? The only reason I can think of is that she's scared. Scared because Barney and she tried and failed, and Kevin seems to be safe and reassuring. But she broke Barney's heart into a million pieces at the end, and in the moment after she shakes her head "no," Barney just stands there so utterly crushed.

Twists and Turns

Barney and Robin slept together after their cab kiss.

Barney breaks up with Nora.

Robin does not break up with Kevin, and shows up with him at the bar after she and Barney had agreed to meet there to discuss their future together.

Ted sees that Barney had decorated Robin's room, although he might not have been completely sober.

Observations

Robin completely crushed Barney, and it's hard to figure out why. She's been pining after him for ages. She couldn't even text him to let him know their plan was off before showing up at the bar with Kevin? She couldn't have come to the bar alone and talk to him? He put his heart out there, and the only thing she gave him was a half-shake of her head "no," and a veiled "I'm sorry." The only thing, and I mean the only thing that is even somewhat reasonable is that she really is just too scared. Barney was ready to start a relationship with her right then. And maybe that scared her, since they'd already tried and failed before. She'd spent so much time pining, and was even the one fishing for a reaction in the cab last week, maybe she hadn't actually thought out what would happen if he reciprocated her feelings.

Overall

This has got to be one of the saddest episodes of How I Met Your Mother. More crushing than anything else we've seen before between anyone's relationship. Going forward, I'd rather see Barney as the one who is pining/hurt, since it brings out his more vulnerable and softer side that we don't often see, but Robin was needlessly cruel in her rejection of him. Why did she even go after him if that was the way she was going to be about it? The ball is now completely in her court if this couple is ever going to get back together. Barney will likely put up all walls again, and she'll really have to work if she wants to win him back.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin isn’t funny (at all) and I wish he would just go away. I found the whole episode to be less than funny this time around with the main plot about Barney and Robin. Now Barney wants to be serious and Robin is going the other way; drama, drama, drama. I wish I could say that the only reason I watch the show though is because my wife watches it but now I’m hooked. As usual I didn’t watch this episode live because it is silly to even try when my schedule is so crazy. I can’t be thankful enough this Thanksgiving for my DISH employee Sling adapter because I watched this episode when I was at the DMV. It’s too convenient.

    ReplyDelete