Friday, October 14, 2011

Vampire Diaries 3.05 - The Reckoning


Vampire Diaries 3.05 - The Reckoning


Brief Summary

The gang is at the school for their high school senior prank night, but it goes terribly awry when Klaus, Stefan, and Rebecca show up. Klaus takes Elena hostage, feeds Tyler some of his blood and then kills him, and orders Bonnie to figure out a way to save him from dying a horrible death like all the other hybrids have. Meanwhile, Katherine and Damon are road-tripping to who-knows-where, and Katherine has brought Jeremy along for the ride. And last but not least, Matt is trying to find a way to speak to Vickie.

What I Liked

This episode was crazy with all the revelations and drama. There were definite good moments. I loved Damon's scene with Elena, where he gets her from the hospital, and the subsequent scene where he essentially promises to protect her.

I don't like Bonnie, but I enjoyed her scenes with Matt tonight. They are the two more normal members of the team, and I liked them talking about life before all the crazy started happening. I don't know if they're laying any groundwork for a romance between them, but I would be down with that.

Caroline and Tyler's scene at the end was cute, although I have a bad feeling that Tyler's "feeling good" isn't going to last very long.

What I Didn't Like

I can't say I really didn't like anything about this episode. It was solid, intense, and had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen.

Twists and Turns

A whole bunch! For starters, Tyler has become the second successful hyrbid.

Elena's (the doppleganger's) blood is the key to turning werewolves into hyrbids. The Catch-22 was that the doppleganger was supposed to die in the ritual, meaning Klaus should have never been able to create more like himself.

Matt can now see Vickie.

Klaus compells Stefan so much so that he seems to have completely shut off his emotions.

Stefan strolls back to the mansion and insists he's going to be staying there "protecting" Elena, since her blood is important to Klaus.

Katherine and Jeremy find the tomb of the vampire/vampire hunter Michael.

Observations

I wonder if there are going to be any bad side-effects to Tyler becoming a hybrid. If I recall correctly, hybrids are not weak to sunlight, and can transform into a werewolf at will. Those all seem like very positive things. However, Tyler isn't used to the hunger for blood, so that might cause him to go out of control.

Stefan staying at the mansion is going to be interesting, since he's almost a completely different person. We know deep down Stefan is still a good guy, but right now I'm assuming that side of him is completely unreachable. Having him around will force Damon to be more on the ball about protecting everyone, though.

Where did Klaus and Rebecca go, and what are the going to do with Elena's blood? They can feasibly turn more werewolves into hybrids. I also assume that Klaus is going to want Tyler on his side.

Overall

Really intense episode, but very good! I'm excited to see where they're going with all this. I'm not sure how I feel about Tyler becoming a hybird, honestly. I liked the werewolf/vampire romance, and now that he's essentially a vampire, too, it loses something for me. Also, this means Tyler is no longer "normal," in that he won't age, and is immortal. Werewolves were definitely more "human" than vampires are in that regard. I'm just glad Matt didn't become a vampire.

No comments:

Post a Comment