Friday, September 16, 2011

Vampire Diaries 3.01 - The Birthday


The Vampire Diaries 3.01 - The Birthday

Brief Summary

And we're back! It's been a few months (a summer's worth) since the season 2 finale. Stefan is missing, and Elena, Damon, and just about everyone else (including the sheriff) have been keeping their eyes and ears open for word of his whereabouts. Unfortunately, Stefan doesn't exactly want to be found. He's taken to killing people as Klaus's partner on his quest to find werewolves, and create a new race of hybrid werewolf/vampires. Klaus tells Stefan to get Damon to stop tracking them, forcing Stefan to send a message. Caroline throws Elena a birthday party, where we catch up with everyone else.

What I Liked

It's new Vampire Diaries at last, what's not to love? There were some specific things I enjoyed, though. I was happy to see Andie Starr was back as Damon's "fake compelled girlfriend." I thought she was fun last season, just this perky news reporter in the middle of all this vampire stuff. I also really liked Matt in this episode. Stoned Matt, looking for his truck and eating ice cream with Jeremy is much more fun that dark, secretive Matt from last season when he was spying on Caroline for her mom. I could get down with a Jeremy and Matt friendship. And for some reason, I really liked the scene with Damon yelling at Elena that Stefan was gone for good.

What I Didn't Like

There wasn't anything I really didn't like about the episode, other than Alaric moving out because he felt like he was a bad influence. I feel like his presence was nice, and I think he's not realizing it's almost like he's abandoning Elena and Jeremy rather than helping them. I also would have prefered Andie stay around a few more episodes, but it certainly did send a message. If there was one thing I didn't like, though, it was probably Stefan on the phone with Elena at the end. Eh...just didn't do much for me.

Twists and Turns:

Andie Starr got killed by Stefan.

Caroline and Tyler hooked up. I didn't expect them to do it so fast, but oh well! Caroline surprisingly still seemed a little hung up on Matt for part of the episode, so I don't know...

Mrs. Lockwood, after an awkward encounter with Caroline trying to sneak out, prompty shoots her with vervane!

Observations

Is Stefan just playing the part, or is he really slipping down this path of darkness and enjoying it? Certainly tearing girls apart isn't a good thing to do, but he hasn't hurt anyone he really cares about yet. (Killing Andie was a low move, but then, Damon killed Lexi back in Season 1.) It's hard to tell what he's thinking at this point. He did call Elena and seemed genuinely upset, but if he really doesn't want to do these things, why is he still with Klaus? Does he think in some way by giving himself over, he's protecting everyone else? I guess we'll see.

Overall

Good start to what will hopefully be an exciting season!

No comments:

Post a Comment